Saturday 12 June 2010

Perverts

Dear Mrs A___,

I am sorry I have not found time to reply to the questionnaire about the lovely K____, who, if you have met her, you will know is a wonderful person and excellent for the post.

However the point of the questionnaire is to take a roundabout way of asking do I think she is a paedophile and a pervert. Interestingly those words appear nowhere on the forms but are the only salient points the government has said you must discover. (For the record I am quite sure she is neither; if I thought otherwise I would have let you know without the need of a government law.)

You will be aware that you, I and K____ may be criminally liable if we get any of the form filling wrong. Thus it has a ridiculous disclaimer making it not worth the paper it is written on.

So now you have a dilemma and so does K____ and so do I because she does not deserve this.

I am sorry for this most unsatisfactory state of affairs. It will get better when laws, which largely miss the point (in that the great majority of paedophile cases occur within the family, or people known to the family - by males) hastily made and poorly thought through, to please a prurient press and public demanding instant no-risk fixes; which are enforced by the threat of criminalising those left with bureaucratic tasks which in no way should come within criminal jurisdiction for non-compliance, are found to be unworkable and are repealed.

Yours sincerely,

Bill Brookman

No comments: